The scents of this festive time of year are illuminated by the words spicy, woody, green, warm and comforting. Instead of synthetic candles and room sprays on store shelves, choose something natural.
1. Cut a few fir boughs to bring indoors. If you wrap them with some sparkly mini lights, the small amount of heat from the lights will make them more aromatic.
2. Make some mulled cider – you can leave it on low the back of the stove to simmer or drink with friends, or let it make the whole house smell like apples and cinnamon. Variation: Add a vanilla bean – split lengthwise - if you prefer a sweeter aroma.
3. Slice off some lemon or orange peel (as much of the zest as possible), and put in a small pot of water with broken pieces of cinnamon bark and crushed clove. Leave it on low/minimum on the back of the stove, making sure to replace the water if it evaporates.
Note: You can also put this concoction in a ceramic aromatherapy burner, and light the tea light. This blend also fights viruses and bacteria that may be in the air, keeping everyone healthy during the holidays!
4. Pomanders These citrusy spicy balls have been made since the Elizabethan times! All you need is a bag of whole cloves, a pin and an orange. Poke holes in the orange in any pattern you like, and then push the whole cloves into the pin holes. The cloves will preserve the orange – it will shrink and dry, but it will not go bad. You can throw it in a drawer or bring it out again next Christmas. A whole bowl of these oranges make a lovely, natural display that you can combine with holly, fir pieces and candles.
Looking to have the scents of the season on hand?
Have some pure essential oils on hand and ready to DIY? Read on for Jusu Body Formulator Karen's special Christmas Blend.
My favourite traditional Christmas blend of essential oils… it’s been my secret for years. This blend gets more beautiful the longer it ages – like a fine wine, or a human soul!
Sweet Orange Essential Oil 8 ml (160 drops)
Rose Geranium Essential Oil 2 ml (40 drops)
Cinnamon Bark 1 ml (20 drops)
(Optional: 5 drops of patchouli essential oil)
HOW TO MAKE IT: Find a small glass bottle you can mix the oils in. If you have a dropper, you can count drops directly into the bottle. If not, use clean stainless steel measuring spoons. Mix well, cap securely and put in a cupboard away from heat and light. (Remember to keep away from children. Although healthy in small amounts, essential oils in their undiluted state are very powerful.)
HOW TO USE IT:
- If you love it, put a few drops in your palms, rub them together and thread your fingers through your hair. The scent will cling to the protein in your hair and you can smell like a Christmas Angel all day.
- Put a few drops under the tap, while running your bath. Safe and great to use with Epsom salts or Himalayan pink salts.
- Collect a few pinecones and put a drop or three of essential oil blend on each. Can be thrown on the fire or used as a natural potpourri!
- Put 5-8 drops in your aromatherapy mister or burner. Refresh as needed.
RECIPE for MULLED CIDER
Directions: Put everything together in a pot and turn the element on low. Leave it on all day! You can also use a crockpot – just leave the lid off so you can smell the delicious smell.
Have a beautiful, natural and fragrant holiday season!
Karen Van Dyck
Jusu Formulator Extraordinaire!